Thread: ChronosonicXVX
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
+1 damping factor of the amp is more important than watts in this regard
I can tell you from experience that Macs have adequate damping factor. I have a lot of experience with Wilsons and can tell you that I would not want anymore damping in my bass. As you know there is such a thing as over damped bass as well as under damped bass. The speaker to which Jim is referring has a sensitivity of 82 and a ridiculously low impedance to boot. I looked it up for myself. My Alexx bass is superb. Couldn't be better. The Alexx sounds so good in my room that I wonder how any speaker could sound better. That's the reason I feel confident about the XVX. So does my dealer and so does Wilson.

When you use a Dag do you use a power conditioner for each amp or one for two amps or none at all? It is the ability of the amp to pull the necessary current from the wall that is critical. Dags do a superb job of this. Absolutely superb. I use one Niagara 5000 per amp and 12,000.00 of power cords per amp and one dedicated 20 amp line per amp to ensure my 1.25KW's are operating at their peak. I know the Dag sound well because I employed a Krell FPB 700 until the thing literally died and then I had it rebuilt after it lasted about 10 years. I loved it. But I also love the Mac sound which is without going into detail a marvelous sound with my Alexx.

There is good news on the installation front. Some potential issues with the spiking have been eliminated which makes me feel much better. Wilson really is a great company to work with. I can't say enough about their willingness to work with the customer. I have good reason to at this point believe that my XVX will be able to be comfortably located in my room with adequate ceiling clearance and good separation between the tweeters.

p.s. With my FPB 700 I did use not use a power conditioner. I used a KK 20 amp Palladian power cord directly into a dedicated 20 amp wall socket. Krell recommended no power conditioner. Do you use a power conditioner with your Dags?

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 11-13-2019 at 03:45 PM.