View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 02:37 PM

PSVANE small signal tubes in QS amplifiers and preamplifiers -

Just for grins - rolled out my best vintage mid 1960s Mullard Blackburn tubes and replaced them with some of the latest versions of the PSVANE 12AU7-T MKII and 12AT7-T MKII psuedo Treasure version small signal and driver tubes.

At first thought they would just be good for general playing when I wanted to save my vintage tubes. Now I can't seem to go back to the great vintage Mullard Blackburn tube and stay there. Back to the PSVANE again and staying there after 80-100hrs burn in. After 100hrs there is an added 3rd order harmonic and overall nice tone that presents itself in the QS amps.

A little more gain, slightly fuller and more present midrange, and a wee bit of added texture and detail I never would have expected against the Mullards these replaced are true NOS+ triode matched tubes, tested on a really good curve tracer test unit. Definitely a top level challenger on both counts. Go figure...like what I'm hearing, brings the QS mono amps to another level in my rig. Way better than any of the stock JJ or EI tubes were too edgy and dry in comparison. FYI, YMMV.

Last edited by decooney; 07-18-2020 at 02:43 PM.