View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
No. Thor’s are best matched to XLF.

With the introduction of the Alexx and the WAMM the required matching subs for the new woofers in the mains were different than what is in Thors. WAMM Master Subsonic was designed for the WAMM. Subsonic was designed for Alexx and other future Wilson speakers that will have similar bass parameters to Alexx and WAMM.

The goal for the Subsonics was the most seamless interface possible with the most advanced designs.
The sensitivity is 87 db which means the Thor at 93 is much more efficient. For a single sub arrangement like what I have driven by one large amp (1.25 KW) the Thor works much better since Alexx sensitivity is 91 db. I have found that my Alexx integrates with my Thor extremely well, significantly better than my Maxx3 but I run my Thor exclusively below 30 Hz with 18 db LP. The transition going from 30 to 60 Hz is significantly smoother and better integrated in this critical range. The bass is tighter, quicker, deeper, more alive/less sluggish. The Maxx3 never wanted for bass quantity but the bass quality could have been better. I can only imagine what a pair of Subsonics would be with an Alexx!

If you want to see my new system, just recently finished go to "1.25 KW's are at dealers" in the Mac forum. Pics are posted there. There are two posts with pics.

Last edited by Charles; 10-23-2018 at 09:13 PM.