View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
You may want to ask yourself what you want to accomplish with this change. You seem to have a nice collection of video and FM gear. In NYC there is still great FM to listen to. You are fortunate. I moved to Sarasota, FL five years ago and FM here is all Pop junk and of little quality. Finally pulled my beautiful gold Magnum Dynalab MD108 tuner out and bought a new dCS DAC. The tuner now lives in it's cool aluminum suitcase... need to sell it.
So, is there some sound change you'd like to make or maybe you'd just like to match things up with a new cord for cosmetic reasons. If so, go for it. Always fun to buy something new... until the bill comes in. It's cold in NYC, a new purchase may warm you up a bit. Enjoy.
I come from the idea that more gauge means more (or better) signal transfer because there's more room for the electrons to flow freely. I now recognize that geometry plays as big or bigger a role as gauge; according to Evan at Transparent, it's more about geometry once you get to 10–12AWG or so. I'd never want (or need) anything heavier than 10 gauge anyway. It's noted also that my C2300 came with a 14AWG cord, so I'd be dubious of the super-heavy gauge cords out there on a preamp. So what I'm wondering is if I can get a bit more out of my preamp, given that a PC change did the trick before. But that was a strictly geometric change, as both the Transparent HPPC and the WW Electra it replaced are 12 gauge. The cosmetic angle would play if I got another Premium cord for sure, as pre and power would match and sources would all be HPPCs (except for my LD player, which has a C7 PS Audio on it).

But even as I type, I realize how much sheer curiosity is playing into this. It would be an experiment, and a potentially expensive one as $600 (Premium) seems a bit much for me right now and a PK10 is more attainable, more quickly, at $200 less. I also tend towards a sense of balance, symmetry and of completeness, which the Kimber would violate. The PS Audio Jewel AC on my LD player bothers me if I think about it enough; that the LD player is a lightly-used source doesn't seem to mitigate things much. I've not found an adapter that gripped the LD player's IEC tightly enough to replace the Jewel; so far everything sags and sometimes loses connection. If I did find a good adapter, I'd probably replace the Jewel with another HPPC.

Perhaps I'll try leaving the whole thing alone for a bit.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 01-12-2019 at 10:18 AM.