Thread: My Last Hurrah
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Thank you for being such a passionate Wilson fan Charles!

Wilson does have an advantage with our subs because we design them to work specifically with Wilson speakers, even specific models of Wilson speakers. It's nice if they work with others manufacturers' speakers, but it's not a concern if they don't.

The lack of a HP is SOP for Wilson but also for proper subwoofer integration in most two channel systems. It is proper room positioning of the mains that insures the smooth rolloff necessary. They don't have to be perfect but they do need to be perfectly placed. Without that, it really doesn't matter what you do with the sub.

For the record, I don't have to speculate about the Fenice, the SE17, Aida, or Aida 2. I have experience with all of them. I see and hear nothing in their operation that would preclude their use with properly aligned subs. Finding the right ones may be the trick, but they will (have) indeed work(ed).
I think you have made my point: I'm not sure such subs exist. I made this point to a good friend of mine. I have noted that the very large European super speakers and there are many of them come with built in subs. Wilson builds their own subs specifically for their large speakers in recognition of the point you have made. If you note I am not aware of generic subs like the Q15 or Q18 or the new Yg subs. I would be hesitant to use subs like these with other than their speakers. I don't have the luxury like you do but I can see how SF and the other manufactures have their big speaker demonstrated at the big European shows and it is without subs.

There are many advantages to Wilson's understanding of bass and it comes from Dave Wilson's long standing belief in the sub woofer. So he made his own for his own speakers and vice versa. I can tell you that in my meager room I can put on the Wilson sub disc and I have a little dip at 50 and a little peak at 40 and the response extends subjectively smoothly down to 20 and actually well below 20. The thing I like the best is the strong smooth upper bass which has nothing to do with my sub but with the Alexx. There is also zero worry about over loading the Alexx with a heavy low bass transient. It can't be done. Therefore, the Alexx is the perfect speaker for a sub but at the same time has a very adequate but not excessive 20-50 response range on it's own.

I'm afraid that the generic sub may not exist that would augment the Se17 (Fenice) successfully or the Aida 2. SF would have to engineer them and they haven't.

I could however argue that a speaker like the Se17 or Aida 2 with their built in subs can better integrate the bass range than with separate subs. A tri-amped Se17/Accuphase system (no separate sub) I am sure would have incredible bass and need no sub. It could be better integrated than the Wilson approach to the ultimate system. Ivan likes the SF sound. My opinion is that an ultimate SF system is competitive with the ultimate Wilson and then it is a matter of taste.

Last edited by Charles; 07-21-2019 at 05:22 AM.