View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVass13 View Post
Interesting, but it's a shame the kit costs $250. I have to imagine there might be a cheaper way to clean/polish Wilson speakers.

http://parts.wilsonaudio.com/wilsongloss-detail-kit/
Fixing swirl marks you will need some compounds, polisher, tape, towels and pads.

Its quite involved, but the high level process:

1. Clay bar and Eraser. Removes damaging embedded contaminants (including Wax) that washing & polishing can't
2. Cut. Use a Cutting Compound with 4" Pad. This will level out any marks. Level of pad will depend on how bad the paintwork is. Assuming previous care has been taken, then only light cutting pad will be required.
3. Polish. Use a Polishing Compound with 4" Pad. This will smooth out the paint surface giving a flawless finish. Again, only a light polishing pad should be required.

Many videos on this https://youtu.be/WN-CCLWcN1s

Once this has been done then you would be ready to start with a Wax/Sealant.

As for product brands.

Polisher - Rupes, Flex or Concours are very common
Compounds - I use 3D Products. HD Cut and HD Polish for a two step and HD Speed for a 1 step (Cut/Polish).
Pads - 3D Products or Scholl.
Clay - Any brand will do.

You can generally pickup a kit with all the products required from most Car Detailing websites.

Now if you don't want to go through all that, I would personally just recommend cleaning the surface with a Clay bar and Eraser then applying a wax compound such as 3D Product, HD Poxy. This should cover/hide the swirl marks and be less that $50 with enough product to last 5+ applications.

Clay, Eraser and HD Poxy on my old Sasha's
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)