View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 07:54 PM

Default Denali/Venom NR Overload?

On Tuesday, I received a Venom V14 Digital Power Cable to use with my Lumin T2 music streamer/DAC. (Up to now, I have been using a Venom 14 Power Cable between my Denali 6000/S and the Lumin T2 and a Venom HC Power Cable between my Denali 6000/S and the wall socket.)

After burning the new V14 Digital Power Cable in for 48 hours, my wife and I sat down to listen. What a disappointment! The lusciousness of the sound (for example, Barbra Streisand singing "Memories" -- from the musical "Cats") was gone, replaced by a much thinner, albeit recognizable, variation of human voices and what seems to be an exaggerated tilt towards treble. This effect was consistently evident track after track regardless of whether the data was 16/44.1, MQA, 24/96 or DSD128 and whether the source was Tidal or ripped albums on my attached hard drive. The sound quality was constantly shocking, terrible, and very disappointing. Rather quickly, out came the V14 Digital Power Cable and back in went the prior Venom 14 Power Cable. Ahhh -- all was good again.

This condition has caused me to wonder whether: (a) my V14 Digital Power Cable is defective, which is unlikely given it underwent a comprehensive QC prior to shipment; (b) the overall power conditioning provided by the Denali 6000/S combined with the further digital noise reduction provided by the V14 Digital Power Cable is simply too much of a "good thing"; or (c) somehow my audio system's combination of components and cabling, when the Digital Power Cable is included, simply doesn't work due to some mysterious adverse synthesis.

This post is not a slam on Shunyata. I employ numerous Hydras, Denalis and cables of various generations and sorts in my system and credit Shunyata for its significant contribution to the wonderfully satisfying end result. The sonic impact I have described is, I believe, a surprising anomaly. While I suspect the culprit is "b" above, I am very curious about the opinions of others as to the cause.

Main System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor; Wadia 8 CD transport and Digimaster DDC 2000 DAC (w/all updates); Theta Compli CD transport; Oppo UDP-203 disc player; Lumin T2 music server/DAC; Roon Nucleus+ core (w/Teddy Pardo LPS); SOTA Sapphire turntable (w/ Premier FT3 arm and Hana SL cartridge); SugarCube SC-2 non-destructive "click and pop" removal device; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; Magnum Dynalab MD-102 FM tuner (w/MD-205 Signal Sleuth FM antenna amplifier and ST-2 FM antenna); McIntosh MC 611 (3), Krell FPB 200C, and KAV-250a power amplifiers; Revel Ultima Studio (2 - L&R), Voice (1 - center), and Embrace (2 sides and 2 surrounds) speakers; SVS PB-16 Ultra (2) and 3000 Micro (2) powered subwoofers; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; various Kimber Kable, MIT, Shunyata, and WireWorld interconnects; Shunyata Denali 2000/T (2), Denali 6000/S, Hydra [original], Hydra 2, and Venom PS10 power conditioners; various Shunyata Delta, Venom, PowerSnake, and Sidewinder power cords, and Venom Defenders (2); Richard Gray's Power Company Substation and 400 Pro; Luxul AGS-1024 Ethernet switch; Sound Anchor amplifier stand; VTI (2) and Billy Bags (4) equipment racks.