View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 PM

Sorry to see this thread decompose. But on the off chance that you're still looking in here, Beet Farmer, here's a butcher-block/vibration-control combination that floats my laptop's boat, sonic-wise. I submit it solely as a conceptual example, since the pictured Final Labs Daruma ball-bearing-based footers are years out of production.

Having over the last few days listened to various configurations--e.g., the laptop mounted on Aurios footers alone, on a 2"-thick maple butcher block alone, on the Darumas alone, and, finally atop the Darumas mated to the butcher block--the latter combination (the one pictured) gives my ears the best balance of transparency, instrumental and vocal definition, and freedom from extraneous artifacts that render the musical presentation either too bright or too "soft".

I assume that what applies here to the laptop in terms of vibration control and the sonic payoff--namely, combining a butcher block with appropriate under-chassis footers--is similarly applicable to program sources such as CD players or turntables, and perhaps DACs. But since this is something I've tested only in a system I know, your mileage may vary.

For what it's worth.

Last edited by jimtranr; 06-14-2019 at 07:06 PM.