View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho22 View Post
BTW my O/93 rest on a pair of Acoustic Revival platforms (part of the deal). Not usre if they make a big difference or not (highly regarded on the net..) but I would say that they do beat the Altec Flamenco. Not hands down, but overall I think they are more balanced, have tighter and still plentyful bass and just overall very musical/coherent speakers.

To be fair my Altecs are not recapped, but on stands with brass footers, both pairs of speakers have the tweeters at the same height, hooked up with the same WE 16ga wire to a switch box by Adcom and WE 14 ga wire hooked form teh amp to the box.
Hope to get new XO soon, rewire, etc the Altecs and then see truly what they are capable of.
Enjoy the music!
Thanks for your impressions Sancho! My impressions were a little different when I had both the O96 and Flamenco. I thought the O96 played lower and tighter, but the Flamenco bass was more musical and bigger -- filled the room in a different way. The O96 was better at what Art called "decidedly modern hifi" things like imaging and detail, no doubt. When I compared the two, I had the Flamencos on the floor and bone stock.

I've since sold the O96 and am running the Flamencos, but now with a Shindo Cortese. I have the Werner XOs and Belden cable at my house just not hooked up yet, now I just need to build some more permanent stands (I have books underneath them for now). With the Cortese and Flamencos, I am a pretty happy guy. I had the house to myself today, so I listened quite a bit and without any fatigue. Really emotionally involved in the music, especially great vinyl recordings.

As you said, enjoy the music!