View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindostevesan View Post
The Shindo comparison that I'm most curious about--and have never heard addressed on this forum or any other--is between the GM70's and the Western Electric 300B Limited amplifiers. My assumption is the 300B's have a sound unto themselves, that tube embodying much of what the Shindo sound is all about.
Steve
I would be curious about this, too. From the looks of the WE 300B ltd, it looks like Ken implements some interesting uses of 3 external tubes with the famed 300b, instead of the typical 2 that I've seen with other amps and in how my Sophias are arranged. EVERYONE I have ever spoken to about that amp describes it as the pinnacle of tubed sound.

But I do wonder if you could look at it in its most basic or raw form as a 300B vs a GM70 (Graphite or copper) tube comparison to get some idea about the differences. I do wonder if you heard those two tubes in a general context if the Shindo versions would be a more developed and refined example of both. My guess, and that's all it is, would be that it comes down to taste. Do you like the power, punch, refinement and dynamics of the 300B or GM70.

But then, what do I know!