View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
The main attribute of the LP-27a is its transparency. It is as if it wasn't there, especially with 56's replacing the 27's. The only way I detect some intrusion is when I compare the system's sound when going straight to the amp through the ZBit, and I believe this is so because of the balanced signal and not something stemming from the pre's design.

Having said that, what is the reason for the higher gain from the LP-3a? Is it part of the LP-3a's intended design? How transparent is it compared to the LP-27a?

Good question of which I only have theories. I have a suspicion that the 3a is a 27a based on different tubes but basically the same circuit. The higher gain is from the tubes themselves. 6sn7 (or 6dj8, 6cg7 in my case) has higher gain than the 27 or 56.

As to transparency, it is still very transparent. Besides the gain which is significant I have not been able to put a finger on the differences. Subtle but different. Like 6sn7 vs 6sl7 in the driver socket of an Inspire amp. Both good but I have a favorite depending on mood/genre,... The two pres live 15 miles apart and I have never a/b the two with the same setup.