View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 03:45 PM

Well, being lazy it’s taken a year to find the correct tool but I finally removed the metal cover from my Walnut Sopra 2 tweeter. First, the speakers look so much better without that shiny distracting tweeter grill. It looks cheap !!! If it was painted flat black, it wouldn’t draw attention to itself like the shiny silver grill. Anodized black would be nice.
Well, paint is cheap so it’s the sound that matters. It improves the dispersion and overall sound airiness. That cover seems to add it’s own slightly metallic sound and surely interferes with dispersion of the high frequency sounds. If you tap on the grill, it rings with a metallic cheap sound I don’t care for. It’s far from inert. Other Focal Speakers I've owned with Be Tweeters did not have the tweeter cover bolted on (1028be in my case).

In this case, I’m not worried about someone putting a finger thru the tweeter so I’ll be leaving the ugly covers off for now. Maybe with white, orange or red some might like the look of the shiny grill covering the tweeter.

Last edited by JetJock; 07-27-2019 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Addition