View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
Once you've auditioned Diablo and ML, I sure would appreciate hearing your thoughts on what you like/dislike about all four -- INT-250, PA 3100 HV, Diablo 300 and 585 -- when paired with 802D3. What was warm, what was analytical, what produced defined bass vs bloated bass, how vocals sounded, soundstage, etc. You're months ahead of me on this same path.
T+A PA 3100 HV - impressive bass control, very smooth sound, insightful, detailed, very neutral and balanced. Best looking amp in my shortlist, especially the Titanium version! Downside is the remote control is heavy, big and lots of useless buttons (I just don't get it, the amp looks gorgeous how come T+A designed such a remote in my opinion)

Gryphon Diablo 300 - 'Authority' is one of the best ways to describe it as many people have said! The soundstage, bass control and dynamics are extremely well (equivalent to T+A PA 3100 HV), the midrange is much warmer than T+A due to Class A for first 10W. However, the treble for some female vocal tracks was a bit too harsh for me when the amp was trying to tame the diamond tweeters and I did move around to double check if it was the speaker toe-in issue which wasn't.

T+A is like a Porshhe, very precise and does everything right but can slide around when you want to have fun. The Diablo is like the Mustang very dominant and wild but lack of the fine details when you need them.

Personally I would choose T+A PA 3100 HV over the Diablo 300 and change the speaker cables to get a bit more warmth of the midrange.

Pass - didn't have a chance as it's hard to find a dealer here in the UK for demo

ML 585 - I heard about it months ago driving 803 D3s at the dealers place. I wasn't impressed if I compare the amp with Devialet Expert 440 CI pro (current amps), T+A PA 3100 HV and Diablo 300. It was like, ok, just sound different whereas T+A and Diablo was like I need to get one of them.