View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Being one of the incredibly old audiophiles, I am pleased to tell you that I was alive and well during the early days of Magneplanar (Magnepan) and actually owned three (3) different pairs of Tympani speakers.

Much later in my life, I owned a pair of Magnepan 20.1 speakers. (not 20.7). I also owned 3.6's but didn't think them to be in the same league as the other two.

Being old, memory does fail me, but best I can recall was that the Tympani moved a lot more air and filled quite large rooms to a magnificent degree. And the midrange of rhe Tympani was the most incredible sound I'd ever heard. Imaging was spectacular and you could truly listen and have the feeling that "you were there". Small groups of performers and symphony orchestras were presented in a most realistic fashion.

The Tympani speakers were superb . . . . but top to bottom, the 20.1s probably sounded better. But, they did not image as well, nor could they fill a room to the degree that the Tympani's did with aplomb. No doubt the 20.1 ribbon tweeters are more accurate which did fill out the highs without harming the wonderful midrange. The bottom end was very full and accurate. They just didn't sound as large as the Tympani.

But, give me the choice between a pair of 3 panel Tympani and a pair of Maggie 20.1's - I would choose the Tympani.

Now, I have not owned 20.7's. I have listened to them but not extensively, and I do know that they are supposed to be superior to the 20.1's so they may be game changers, but I surely would love to find me another pair of Tympanis - but I am absolutely certain that if Magnepan should re-introduce these speakers, I probably couldn't afford them
Julian once again our pathes cross. I had Timpani 1D's bi-amped by two ARC D100-A amps, EC83 tube crossover and SP6B preamp. Everybody wanted to party at my house, they sounded wonderful. AND!!!!!!! they could double as room deviders when not in use.

Be well my friend: Tom D.