Thread: Tesla Powerwall
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
You are probably right in that you should also be technically on "perfect" power if you are running 100% off the Solar inverter too. The only question is whether you would ever be consuming a low enough amount to not require any additional from the power company. I think solar is great in principle; its just so crazy inefficient that its not practical at small scale.
I'm adding 10 more panels which should push me over the "need" to use the grid mark, however it's still there just in case.

the powerwalls have a few different settings, one of which uses all excess solar energy to charge the batteries until full then sends the excess to the grid. Then at night (or on cloudy days) discharges the batteries for power to the house. Another is called "backup" where I can set a percentage of the battery to be held in case of power outages from the grid, at which time the powerwalls disconnects totally from the grid and energizes the house.

supposedly I will be able to go 7 days with no grid... last hurricane about 20 of my neighbors and I were down 5 days... and even the ones on propane powered generators ran out. fingers crossed this is the ticket