View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Dan, do you need to feed it a signal to break in? Thought that Schiit say just powered on is all you need.
Adam.......I know Schiit performs burn-in of all the Yggdrasil DAC's at the factory for at least 72 hours minimum before boxing them for shipping. I can't recall seeing where Schiit states a thorough break-in can be accomplished by simply leaving it powered on with no signal. Yes, Schiit does recommend leaving the DAC powered but I suspect that is to keep the circuits at operating temperature so the DAC will always sound its best immediately when used.

My idea of a thorough break-in is not only to keep the Yggdrasill powered, but feed it with a digital signal through the various inputs so that all the component's various circuit board parts have an opportunity to experience electron flow, temperature rise, and molecular settling of the chemical compounds and physical properties they are made of. I also want the analog output stages to be passing voltage as well for all the same reasons. In other words, I want the break-in process to include all the aspects of the DAC being used under the exact same conditions I will be using it.

I am not trying to tell anyone how to break-in their audio equipment. I am only stating how I do it. My Yggdrasil now has 520 hours of break-in under actual use. In my opinion, that's how break-in should be performed.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A