View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
I had Apogee Caliper Signatures for a little over twenty years so I'm well aware of the way planar bass compares to dynamic driver bass. My local Magnepan dealers always had their Maggies coupled to subwoofers, and if you shut the sub off there was just nothing there. I checked to make sure they weren't using a high pass filter for the Maggies, but no. At both dealers these were 3.7s pulled away from the wall in their listening room about 4 feet. I haven't found a dealer willing to display 20.7s yet, so I can't speak to them.
I also owned the Duetta and the Stage - neither of which were bass gods. The Scintilla was very good but were gigantic and required massive and multiple amplifiers. Just like the Apogee's, Maggie's are dependent upon the type of amplifier to extract the best performance along with knowledgable room placement. I have also had many Magneplanar's through the years and tried several times to integrate subs - REL and Velodyne and invariably turned them off and ultimately sold them.

Look there are some people who really appreciate bass response and some types of music need it. I wouldn't recommend a pure planar or electrostat for those people. That being said, I am very happy with the 20.7's. I don't know who your dealer is but if there is truly NO bass from a 3.7 then something is wrong in the setup or choice of amplifier. If your dealer doesn't have a 20.7 they probably also won't have the Magneplanar DWM bass panels to try either. I used the 1.7's with the bass panels with great results. Give them a try if you really like the Maggie sound but want more bass power.