View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
On the Cadenza models, note that they're different enough (e.g. compliance, cantilever, stylus) that one might be an optimal match for a given tonearm while the other isn't. The Bronze, Blue, and Red models have a lower than average compliance of 12, which lends them more to medium-high mass arms. The Black is a more typical 16. I.e. the Black might not necessarily beat the Bronze on a heavier arm.

I once had Ortofon's predecessors of the Bronze & Black for comparison: Kontrapunkt c = Bronze and Jubilee = Black; on a Fidelity Research FR64fx arm (heavy, with effective mass 20g), the Kontra was better than the Jubilee. The Windfeld MC (same 16 compliance as Black/Jubilee) had some struggles on this arm too. I now have a Cadenza Bronze, and like the Kontra, it's a stunning match on the FR arm.

One change from Kontra c to Bronze is the use of the Replicant (micro-ridge) stylus on the latter. That actually makes it a bit more fussy in setup accuracy than either the Kontra, Jubilee, or Black. Something else to keep in mind. I also thought I read somewhere that VPI really likes the Bronze, but I'd imagine both models would do quite well on a VPI 12" arm.

Thanks Mike...the bronze is also more budget friendly for me.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.