View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Listener in Training

As another D300 owner, David hit the nail on the head. If money were no object, I might go for the D700, but I've bought into the DX-based lenses which would be "lost" on the FX (full-frame 35 mm equivalent) D700. The ISO settings on the D300 are terrific, and I've been able to take great pictures in low light. If you're going to shoot a lot of indoors shots where you'll want a wide angle, the D700 is probably a better option, assuming you're starting fresh with the lenses; it has the advantage too with those lenses being compatible with DX-based models if you want a lighter weight camera like the D90 as a backup or travel camera. Putting together some lenses and a body or two isn't entirely unlike putting together an A/V system.

Also, one cool addition to get is a GPS unit that hooks into the camera. I have one that's about postage-stamp size, 3-4 mm thick, and is mounted on my camera strap. It's not that great indoors, but when you're traveling, it's very cool and comes with software that hooks into Google Maps. I haven't been on the road much since buying it, so haven't really put it through it's paces, but it is a very cool gadget. Having the Lat & Long in your RAW file has a lot of applications. I can appreciate that as I scan my old negatives and try to remember where a roll of film was taken 20 years ago if it wasn't labelled well ("yeah, these shots were in China, but where exactly....").
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable