View Single Post
Old 03-10-2021, 02:24 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
The 6SE had about 250 hours. Interestingly the 6SE sounded quite excellent out of the box. The 5SE took about 100-150 hours to bloom and kept getting better up to 500 hours. I believe I read somewhere this was related to the capacitors.
I upgraded my Ref 5SE to 6SE recently and for me it took 150 hours to open up from sounding good but very uninspired to magical and engaging. Around 125 it flipped to not good and back to good a few times. Then over 200 continued slowly improving. This was pretty much like the 5SE if I remember correctly... my memory is pretty iffy these days.

I recently found out the REf 3 Phonostage and REF 6/se all use the same tube set and so are interchangeable (this was really good as a tube went out). Upon really looking at the inside, I realize the similarity of design of the phono stage and preamp. The improvements between the integer and SE models are upgrades in components and maybe wiring which resulted in a big difference in sound on the Preamp... I keep thinking it should have had as big a difference on the PS. Maybe at some point I will just do it and find out how I react.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.