View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 PM

So I gave these a listen, late this afternoon, for almost an hour.
The associated equipment was a Moon integrated/dac/streamer with a Bluesound Node and a Moon CD player for a short time (there were no cd's at the dealer I knew well enough).

Overall, I found the presentation problematic for me and can't figure out if it was the room/setup or the speakers. When I crouched in front of each speaker, individually, and then when I backed up to a listening position, I seemed to hear 2 different characters.

When I was in the listening position, I found the bass kind of lacking and the presentation to be bright without a solid center image. I wouldn't characterize the sound as warm, really at all. I moved the speakers around a bit in the room and improved things marginally, but overall, my impression was that I probably wouldn't be able to tolerate these speakers.

I'm going to try to go back tomorrow and the dealer and I might put the speakers in a different room with different gear and see what happens.

The dealer said I'm the first person to say they sound bright and that perception has been the opposite for most listeners.

Overall, I was disappointed, but I'll see what happens tomorrow. I know I wouldn't have set the speakers up the way they were in the store. I think they were too far into the room and that could have been a factor.

They were very detailed and transparent through the mid and high frequencies. Some jazz I played sounded really good but when I got to rock music, it was tough to listen to. They seemed very sensitive to positioning in the dealer's room.

I think they're worth listening to again, though.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables