View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Stephen....what were the other speakers in competition against your Dynaudio?
Philippe,
Actually, in terms of my purchasing history, none. My fist pair of speakers when I got back into audio after an absence of 20 years was a pair of Audience 72s, which I really like. I had been reading about Dyns from the various owners at AVS, and decided that the Contour S3.4s would likely be my ideal speakers. Then I got an opportunity to get a pair of Contour S3.4s, and that's what I've had ever since.

If you mean what other speakers I would consider owning other than Dynaudios, I also really like Avalon, Harbeth, Quads, Evolution Acoutics, GamuT, TAD, of course. I also love the Sonus Faber Cremona M, but they are fairly on the warm side, and with my C-J tube gear, would likely be too much of a good thing. I could see pairing them with a really neutral set of electronics, though, like ARC or Octave. Octave and Cremona Ms might be a recipe for a match made in heaven. I also really like Zu's speakers...they are a complete departure from how most folks do speakers, but I've heard what those dirt and mountain-bikin' guys from Ogden, Utah can do, and I really like it (I also love their interconnects). A pair of Zu Soul Superflys and a sweet SET amp could be pretty dang interesting.

I haven't heard them yet, but based on what I've read and from folks whom I trust here, I would also probably really like the PMCs. With all due respect to my much-valued and dear friends here who are Wilson owners, I'm really not a Wilson kind of guy. Or Magico or YG for that matter. Much more in the British/Danish camp than the American camp of loudspeaker design (with the exception of Zu and Avalon).
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by admin; 03-25-2012 at 07:27 PM.