View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
Stephen, awesome thread. True testament when a quad diehard raves about another speaker. Thats like getting a Greenbay Packer's fan to compliment another team! It is always awesome to have a friend with similar listening preferences on what their ears value. Sounds like your system has reached the summit! Btw what are the two tables you have? Darrin
Thanks, Darrin.

I currently have three TTs: a Clearaudio Concept with a mono Grado Ref Sonata1 that I use as exclusively as a mono deck for the many jazz and classical mono LPs I have, a Michell Gyro SE MkII with SME V arm and Koetsu Urushi Vermilion cartridge (basically the same deck Jdandy has), and a Rega P5 with a Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II cartridge. Both the Koetsu and Pearwood are amazing. What's more amazing is the P5/Pearwood cost me a total of about $2500 and it competes very favorably with the much more expensive Michell.

I've just purchased Serge's EAR324P phono stage that has two inputs, so I will use that for two of the tables, and my EAR 834P for the third table. I also run a Bob's Devices step up transformer for both MC carts on the Michell and Rega.

Now that I have a phono stage that will accomodate two TTs, the last area for improvement may be a really top-flight DAC; I'm very interested in the new Wadia 121 as I really like Wadia DACs; they're exceptional. Or I might not; the Schiit Bifrost is getting to be REALLY good, better and better all the time. And for $449, it's ridiculous.

To get the digital front end source comparable to the level of quality of the rest of the system, though, I might look seriously at the Wadia.

The other areas I need to address are ancillaries: I now need a 6 outlet Shunyata Hydra and a few more Venom3 power cords, but after that, that would be it as far as my system is concerned. Maybe one day I will splurge for a Finite Elemente rack.

On the whole, though, I'm very, very happy with the system and quite honestly don't feel the need to upgrade anything. I could spend more money on C-J LP275 monos, or an ET-5 preamp, or this or that, but even if I decide to sell the CT-5 and keep the Premier 17 preamp, I really don't think these "upgrades" would mean that the experience of enjoying the music I have would be any more rewarding or fulfilling than I am finding it now. It would be more money spent, but I'm not sure it would result in greater musical fulfillment

The focus after that will be solely on music; i want to get all the new Verve jazz remasters/reissues that Analogue Productions will be putting out as LPs from Quality Record Pressings, and of course, more stuff from my favorite remaster/reissue company, Speakers Corner
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-17-2012 at 05:32 PM.