Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusTubesNow View Post
Thanks for the advice about concentrating on the Orchid. This morning I'm sitting here listening and just soaking in the music. Wondering how the heck it can sound so good. Not particularly concerned about rolling tubes or swapping for one of Abbas's units.

Question: What tubes have you guys ended up with? Did you ever try that adapter thing with, like, a Mullard 6DJ8?

Also kind of interesting that it seems that several of us are using tube preamps with 6SN7 tubes.
Other variables to consider for comparing apples to apples vs oranges. Both FloridaBoy and I have zero’d in on aligning our input and DAC front end and cables to compare. We do use different preamps, amps, tubes. What is similar and being compared between us:

Re: DAC (Orchid)
Warmup - I’ve found the Orchid is better after 45 min warmup (at least). 1hr+
Tubes - they all add different flavors. GE 5670 (brighter), Tesla (mid point), WE .....WE396A (warmest, rolled off).
Connection: we are using Digi COAX, not USB or Optical. Preference. FYI.
Cables: OCC copper (brighter) and more open than softer OFC interconnects.
Source: Arcam rPlay, not Bluesound Node2+. Another variable for others.
Content: Streamimg Tidal Hi-FI, lossless. Not MQA. Not CDs.

Goal:
See how smooth we can make it for streamed digital content with a sub-focus on less than ideal tracks from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s. Not as much about perfect CDs. We know good CDs and tracks sound better.