View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post

Is it enough to call it a day?

With every new component I've bought in the past, I always felt I was taking a step toward a goal that was just slightly out of reach. With the d1-twelve, I'm actually at a point where if my current system didn't change for the rest of my life, I would be satisfied. Of course capacitors age and lose their tolerance after a couple decades and a hobby invariably means eventual tinkering. But this is the first plateau I've reached in my hi-fi hobby where I could call it a day to focus on other of life's costly priorities and not regret it. The d1-twelve SE is that good. Of all the things I've paid money to buy in my life, the d1-twelve SE is easily one of perhaps four things I've bought that has given me the most satisfaction and enjoyment that a material thing can give.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to audition a TotalDAC in the US. But based solely on the comments from friends in the UK and FR I took a leap of faith and acquired the TotalDAC from Vincent. I have had it for several months now and must say that I agree 100% with what 'Ylee' says above. I told a friend in the UK that I usually find differences between good DACs to be relatively small. But the subtle distortions of a DAC are particularly annoying although technically subtle they might be. With TotalDAC you can stop looking for a better or 'different' DAC and just enjoy the music. It is the closest to the sound of 'analog' (record & tape) that I have experienced. My only caveat: the case quality could be better.

Highly recommended if you want to get off the DAC merry-go-round and you are/were a digital hater (as I was).