Thread: A Sonic Mirage?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
I went with a friend to audition a Cary System – SLP 03 Tube Preamplifier and SA-200.2 Amplifier.
I was immediately impressed with great dynamics, punchy and impactful. I liked the sound coming from it better than what my ARC-Ref150 and Ref5se combo was giving me.
After we left the dealer I immediately went to ARC house of worship and got down on my knees and said “ O god when will my salvation come. For last six months I have played this ARC combo till the Plexiglas cover on the Pre nearly melted and had to be replaced by metal. I wore out the plastic remote and had to be replaced by metal. All these months the whole house smelt of tar from Ref150 transformers.”
The voice from the sky said “You are not worthy of owning these ARC gear - you do not have the patience. You expect too much only after 250 hours. Get of this Sonic Cliff - Sell it!”
I went back to the Cary dealer and borrowed the two pieces. Took them home. The minute I plugged them in, same great sound came. While I waited good 20 minutes for the ARC gear to warm up to give me close but different sound. Cary hit the ground running. Wife and I both enjoyed listening to Cary.
So if you are in Toronto area I am getting off this Sonic Cliff. Sold!
So you are saying that an amp and pre-amp from Cary that lists for 6400.00 blew away an ARC setup that cost 26,000. If that's the case I can't see why anyone would buy ARC.