View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuba View Post
Hi Jim,

I fully concur with your observation about raw power needed to drive and control speakers, especially the lower frequencies. As mentioned to Dan, perhaps I should just be patient and wait for 1-2 years to get that dream MBL Reference range instead

I am currently based in Muenster. Its a university city, just north of Dortmund/Dusseldorf. The local hifi shop recently renovated and has re-opened with an impressive array of brands, especially german ones. We have the more well known german brands like MBL, Burmester, Avantgarde and AudioNet in Singapore but it is interesting to listen to their other lesser known german brands. There are quite a number and they do make not just good electronics, but excellent speakers and turntables.

I have been a big JM Lab fan for many years. Started with their Electra 906 and 926, and then the Micro Utopia Be and Alto Utopia Be. I like their house sound. Fast, transparent, revealing top end. The Utopias were like a more mature wine compared to the Electras. Warmer in presentation but with a lot more flavor, complexity and detail. I sold my Alto Utopia Be last year in anticipation of getting the MBL (wanted a different sound for the second system), but have kept my Micro Utopia Be which I like a lot.

Leon
Leon
Did not get up that far North in Germany. Often came across the E34 past Eindhoven and Duisberg before catching the A3 south towards Koln near Dusseldorf.

I kind of wish I had kept my Micro Utopia BE's for a extra system. They really are a nice speaker. The Alto's and Nova's are able to reproduce piano with the best speakers out there and the finish is pretty good. I heard the Grand Utopia EM's at last years RMAF and the can compete with anything out there as they should at that crazy price.
Jim