Thread: AX-5 Twenty
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 12:59 PM

Surprisingly, the Ayre has given the Accuphase a significant spanking. With only 40 hours on the clock, the AX-5 Twenty has provided a much more revealing and pure sound without any harshness normally encountered with some new SS amps. It was like a veil had been taken off the sound produced by the E-600.

I was thinking that perhaps I was just enamored with my new purchase so I did some A/B comparisons last night. The Ayre won hands down. Even my "non-audiophile" wife noticed and commented on the improvement.

I am truly blown away by the differences. I was hoping to hear some improvement, but certainly not to this level - especially from a new amp. Apparently, the Ayre doesn't get fully broken in until 500 hours.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,