View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 01:33 AM

Default My Experience with Music Players and Music Servers... So far

Years ago, I started using Squeezebox devices. I also got a NAS and ripped my entire CD collection. Streaming changed the way I listen to music; I ended up putting my CDs in the attic. But there were hiccups along the way. Logitech Music Server (LMS, the brain behind the SB machines) ran on a computer and from time to time I experienced my share of computer gremlins.

Then Logitech decided to stop making Squeezebox products and quit supporting LMS altogether. So it was time to look for alternatives.

Eventually I decided on the Sony HAP-Z1ES music server. The Sony offered two advantages: 1) no computer needed, and 2) it played DSD natively. For nearly two years I have been happy with that set up.

I recently started playing around with Roon/Tidal. Roon runs on a computer, but so far it seems solid (i.e., no computer issues... so far). I soon found out that Roon supported my old Squeezebox devices and that Roon could combine all my music already stored in the NAS with the Tidal offerings. Also Roon can stream in Hi-Rez to my squeezebox machines. All good.

Today I did some testing:
Option: A) Roon/Tidal/NAS/Squeezebox/Bryston SP3, versus
Option: B) Sony HAP/Bryston SP3.

Overall, Option A sounded better with all material, except DSD where the Sony sounded a bit better. In Option A, the Bryston SP3 is the DAC. In Option B, the Sony is the DAC and the SP3 just passes the analog signal.

Three further thoughts:
1. I have been listening to Tidal’s Master (MQA) offerings. I have compared the MQA recordings to normal CDs from Tidal and the same CDs from my library and prefer the Tidal MQA versions.
2. The Squeezebox devices do 96/24 with no problem. I am still surprised how far ahead of their time the Squeezebox devices were.
3. I have decided that from now on I will avoid players with their own storage. If your NAS is working correctly, you should be able to feed your music player with no hiccups at all. Moreover, you only have one database to maintain/keep updated. (Transferring files from a NAS to another drive and maintaining two databases becomes tedious very quickly). YMMV.