View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie1dog View Post
Years ago in a stereo store, a guy came in and was listening to the new Magnepan 2.7's I believe, all through a McIntosh system. He asked the dealer if he could bring in his big-ass receiver and hook it up to see how much different the sound was going to be, and if he could not hear any difference, he would buy them. Dealer said ok, but there would be a 30% or more decline in SQ. I knew I wanted to stick around for the demo. The guy could not tell any difference and said, "I'll take them"

If you take 200k in a front end, and hook it to some Electrovoice PA speakers (cannot remember the model now of the ones I always refer to as the most awful speakers I've ever heard, midrange that will bore a hole in your eardrum) it will still sound awful. The final transducer determines the overall SQ of a system. Just my worthless 2 cents.

So I would spend at least 60% on speakers.
I'm confused...i agree with you about the speakers being the overall most important determination in a system's SQ, but your story didn't seem to back that up. You said the guy could NOT tell a difference after hooking up cheaper gear and bought them anyway?

I think a good speaker will reveal what good (or bad) gear can do. So he shouldn't have bought those speakers if a receiver can sound just as good as a Mc stack through them.