View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin des Prez View Post
As for changes in VTA changing stylus overhang, I setup my table for specific VTA (slightly tail down). I change the VTA to accommodate different record thicknesses (i.e from 110g to 200g) so that I keep the same relative VTA. My adjustments to VTA change it relative to the platter, but not so much to the stylus resting on the actual record, so I think the overhang changes little or not at all.
That makes absolute sense, the angle of your tone arm remains constant, so a very small adjustment equivalent to the change in thickness of the record, won't affect anything! Could argue that not adjusting tonearm height for different thickness records will result in different tracking forces.
What I was talking about was actually changing VTA, i.e.. experimenting to get the optimal angle, then the VTA/SRA/horizontality of the tone arm change, and everything is affected, VTF being the most dramatic, but a 5mm change in arm base height on my 4 Point changes the overhang by about 1 mm. And this translates to a change in SRA of about 1 degree, so not terribly much!
So I think we agree?
As an aside, how do I upload pictures?