View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinster View Post
Just a few observations....
I see no one has used a digital microscope, probably a good thing, I have beautiful photos, but just can't get a 92 degree SRA. Puts the cartridge at extreme risk moving the microscope in close!!!
Adjusting VTA on the fly makes a big difference to tracking force, so I believe many of the changes relate to this. You have to readjust tracking force each time you adjust the VTA.
Adjusting the VTA also changes the overhang and therefore the geometry, so this, ideally, should be reset for when VTA is adjusted.
The one thing I haven't tried is an oscilloscope, it makes sense that this should be the "holy grail" of cartridge set up. I suppose interpretation of the wave forms requires some skill. I'm trying to set up an input to my laptop for an oscilloscope, any advice??
Some day I will be able to upload pictures of SRA etc..
I have the VTALifter2 on my Clearaudio Ovation. When I had the Clarify arm, which is a magnetic bearing arm, changing VTA caused a change in VTF. Now I have the Magnify arm, which is a hybrid bearing (magnetic in one plane only). Changing VTA changes the VTF very little. In fact none at all over the range I adjust VTA. So I think your point about changes in VTA changing VTF depends on the tonearm. But I do agree it is good to check.

As for changes in VTA changing stylus overhang, I setup my table for specific VTA (slightly tail down). I change the VTA to accommodate different record thicknesses (i.e from 110g to 200g) so that I keep the same relative VTA. My adjustments to VTA change it relative to the platter, but not so much to the stylus resting on the actual record, so I think the overhang changes little or not at all.