Thread: My Last Hurrah
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
This is true.
I think this is true with most expensive purchases. Even if you hear them in a showroom or at a show it means very little. It can take months to discover a components true qualities. That's why I'm always skeptical of folks on the site who say that "I heard such and such compared to such and such and there was no comparison" or "it blew it away" the list of cliches is quite long. When I hear these statements although folks have a right to their opinion, I pay no attention to them. That's why I think if Ivan is serious, he should go with the Se17 provided SF can provide him with the proper assurances. This might include return of the speaker if not totally amazed and happy. Ivan is already a satisfied Aida owner and this would be his second major purchase. The onus should be on SF to come in with the Se17 and achieve exactly the sound signature he is looking for, provided all the ancillary equipment meets their requirements. If they can't do it, then the speaker should be returned.

I think Aida 2 might be too analytical for Ivan. Aida 1 came after the original Sonus Faber. It is not surprising that it was superior to it. However the Se17 came after Aida 1 and Aida 2. It could possess the romanticism Ivan is looking for and loves while at the same time provide the ultimate in dynamics and frequency response that only a fully tri-amped SF can provide. Also it is a true super speaker and will probably not be changed for many years.

I think that Ivan should go with a tri-amped speaker based on what I know about his preferences.

Last edited by Charles; 07-07-2019 at 03:24 AM.