View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 05:10 AM

I just upgraded from the MC452 to the MC601's. I was very content with the 452 but I've always wanted 601's since the first time I saw them. Considering the cost and everything I've read, I was a little concerned they would not be that much better than the 452. I have no way of auditioning these before purchasing. As soon as I turned on the 601's for the first time, those worries faded away.
My experience is similar to what Joey described as I'm hearing an overall improvement. I think we both have B&W's which could explain some of the similarities.
The 601's share a very similar, almost identical, sound signature to the 452. The 601's have more authority and control over the speakers which improves the bass, speed, and low extension along with giving it a more relaxed and effortless sound. Also, I'm hearing a bit bigger soundstage and more precise imaging. I'm guessing this due to the nature of mono amps with independent power supplies and extra channel separation.
These are not drastic differences from the 452 but enough to make me satisfied with the extra coin spent on the 601's. The 452 hangs very close to the 601's which makes it a great value.
As Dan mentioned in his 601 review, it's now harder to turn off the system at the end of the night. I don't see myself ever letting go of these amps.