View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 03:58 PM

When I first read about MQA, it all sounded like the usual "hype".

Then I read Robert Harley's article in The Absolute Sound, he doesn't impress me as one who "panders" to individual manufacturers who advertise in his magazine, so I thought that maybe he's on to something.

When Tidal and Warner Music made their announcements, my "hopeful meter" elevated, thinking of how few SACDs were made available, hoping MQA would be at least as "mainstream" as DSD.

When Tidal announced it added "Masters" to their streaming service, I ordered a Meridian Explorer2 DAC ($199 on Amazon), just to see what all the fuss was. Not that I expected a $199 DAC to sound as good as my $5999 DAC.

I am really pleasantly surprised at the sound of the MQA albums I've auditioned from Tidal. And the last time I checked, there were over 500 Tidal "Masters" available. Hopefully Warner will continue to add enough albums to this library that more and more DAC manufacturers will decide it's in their best financial interests to incorporate MQA into their new designs. Yes, the music industry likes to sell you the same content over and over again, but with streaming becoming more dominant, having MQA (IMO) is a real plus for us audio nuts!
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling