View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I did a comparison of the D1100 to the K03-X and it was close. What I found in the past year was I would go to my listening room less and less , have shorter listening sessions. You could say the passion was not there. Something was missing but I couldn’t put my finger on it. While the D1100 is a fine Mcintosh digital pre amp/DAC and I have no disparaging comments I just did not get into the music . I started to sell off my stereo components ie the Aurender N100h, D1100, Oppo 205 and finally my Sonus Faber Elipsa speakers . Lars mentioned he had 2 PS Audio Dac’s ,one was still sealed and he posted it for sale. I started reading about the DirectStream and decided to give it a try. From the moment I played the first song, the music made my jaw drop literally. This was a big surprise as I did not expect to hear so much detail and dynamics. Maybe it has something to do with the upsampling and conversion to DSD? There is magic in this DAC. I know this is a long answer to your question but the DirectStream sounds better than any other DAC I have heard including esoteric . Some will disagree and that’s ok. The esoteric has tremendous build quality , it is a top cdp and transport one thing to also consider , the company makes model changes often because the dac chips can not be upgraded the way PS audio does with software.

Well you were always Psyched out when you found out that the DAC chip in the D1100 is an older model. I bought the Yiggy on Dan's review and now it sits in my bedroom system. Great DAC. Thanks Dan!

I"ve gotten very interested in the new Primaluna Tube Dac and I"m waiting on the chance to take one home for the weekend. It's using a 10 year old Burr Brown chip. If I like it it'll be the new game room DAC. Very intrigued about putting it with a MC275, and C2200. An all Tube system.

But for me the D1100 will always be King. The sound stage is huge and super lush. The MDA1000 is a great Redbook DAC, the D1100 is a great streaming DAC! Enjoy your PS audio

Last edited by JBT; 05-15-2019 at 12:26 AM.