Thread: Dac-50
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 06:11 PM

I like the DAC-10 so much in my first Accuphase unit(CX-260), that i now want to sell my Denafrips Ares II r2r DAC and invest in either the DAC-50 or the DC-81. HTPC lossless files as my only transport, but will get a streamer in the next few years.

DAC-50 does dsd which is cool. I've had a Tube modded Oppo 105d for demo and it sounded great with all music upsampled to dsd. The Denafrips Ares II sounds lean and dull with dsd. Sounds better NOS PCM. Does the DAC-50 upsample PCM to DSD very well? DSD+price point are it's two big selling points. Negative? I suppose price point for a small board and resale value likely being weak.

DC-81 is from 1986 but it looks overbuilt to the max. I really want a DC-91 but they're out of my price range while i still look for an Accuphase power amp(Currently using McIntosh MC202). I had the opportunity to demo an Audio Note 0.1x DAC which also is only redbook playback. It sounded great and while downsampling my higher resolution and dsd files sounded worse, i have no problem seeking out 16/44 redbook albums to replace the higher resolution. 16/44 playback is fine, but my mind will often be tempted by "newness" in DSD and higher resolution PCM.
Is the DC-81 still a great DAC at their used price point by 2021 standards? Will a recap be a PINTA and expensive? Will a recap even be necessary?

Would either the DC-81 or DAC-50 benefit from a DDC usb to spidf converter and external clock such as the Denafrips Gaia/Hermes/Iris?

Last question: What makes such a small PC board DAC sound so good? Is it using the Accuphase preamp's built in power supply to aid in its sound? I'm just very impressed by such a small package. How is it able to compete with dedicated DACs much more expensive and overbuilt? The DAC 0.1x from Audio Note sounded more musical in the mid range. A touch more lush vs my DAC-10. The older DAC-10 held its own so well and now i'm curious what a jump to the newer DAC-50 or a separate and dedicated Accuphase DAC can do!