View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 PM

I almost replied, but I luckily recalled this excellent post by Dan (jdandy) regarding the MC452 vs MC601s.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Christoph.......The MC452 and the MC601's sound quite similar, perhaps even closer to nearly identical. What separates the two is primarily the output power capabilities and the dynamic headroom. The MC601's use an independent power supply that isn't required to be shared between two channels. Because they are mono ampifiers the 601's share nothing with the opposite channel, nor give up anything due to what is happening in the other channel. The MC452 shares it's power supply between both of the stereo channels and in some respects this can impact performance at the extremes. Under normal operation it is doubtful that you would ever tax the MC452's power supply to the limit.

Other considerations that may impact your decision to own an MC452 over a pair of MC601's might be due to space restrictions. Of course your speaker efficiency and the sound pressure levels you typically enjoy will also impact your amplifier decision. Then there is the price, $8500 for the MC452 versus $14,000 for a pair of MC601's. And ultimately, some folks just like seeing a big pair of mono block amps sitting between their speakers.

I own both the MC452 and a pair of MC601's. Both are stellar performers that do not disappoint me in any way. I am confident it will be the same for you no matter what your final decision may be.