View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 05:50 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Both are good just like different kind of foods are equally enjoyable; it all depends on the mood your in. I find that some recordings I have sound better on vinyl and vise versa. Now that I stream a lot of my music with roon I have not purchased any new digital music while I still buy vinyl.
I've thought a lot about the whole vinyl vs. digital debate since I've been into vinyl.....it's really interesting when you listen for the (sometimes not so) subtleties in the recordings. It's always been very difficult to put into words the differences and what I think makes vinyl the superior listening experience. There has to be something in our brain/auditory system that translates analog into a more pleasurable and realistic experience. Great example is a vinyl purchase that I've been waiting for for quite awhile. I finally scored a near mint condition first press of Pearljam's debut album "Ten" on vinyl. I've heard this album a thousand times, always been one of my favorites but last night was the first time I have ever heard it on an analog rig. It was really something, when you closed your eyes, it was truly amazing how much richer and more lifelike the album sounded. This was a great test since I'm so familiar with the sound....there was stuff on the record that came out never before heard....it was pretty interesting. I wish someone could come up with something quantitative in the future to account for these type of differences, but I guess we'll have to live with the standard audiophile descriptions for now!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3