Thread: Lafite thoughts
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortnipper View Post
I have GPA 604-8H-III drivers in a JE Labs OB at the moment.

Shindo did make a version of the Latour for at least one customer I know with the GPA 604-8H-II drivers (which has a Mantaray style horn, where the III has an exponentially flared horn similar to the Urei style 604 horn).

Mass Loaded Transmission Line (the mass is "stuffing") where quarter wavelength standing waves inside the enclosure are used to produce the bass response emanating from the bottom-firing port. It is my understanding that this is what Shindo uses for the basis for their designs?...
The only thing correct in the above statement is, yes, Shindo did a 604 cabinet and crossover for a customer who already owned, and wanted to try his personal GPA drivers (which the customer subsequently ended up removing from the cabinet after determining them unworthy.) Shindo provides original 604 drivers with his particular 604 based loudspeaker but goes a step further by re-engineering it into a field coil driver with integrated power supply within the cabinet.

FWIW, the Shindo is completely different than an MLTL. It's not a textbook design by any means.. .. .

Sincerely,
-M

Last edited by pitch perfect; 05-01-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo