View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Life is beautiful

The Kaya 25 is the smallest speaker of the Kaya line.

I recognised the sound.
I does have a lot of its bigger brothers.
The transparency, soundstage and imaging were terrific.
I'm sure that Ben invested time in placing them very well.

I'm also sure that the electronics did a lot to the fantastic sound.

I had heard the Kalugas before, driving the G1 Spirit, so I know what they're capable of.
For 6K, you get an amplifier that puts out 400/700/1200W into 8/4/2W.

It was the first time I heard the Mola Mola DAC as a standalone DAC and not as a module in the Makua pre amp.
If you only have digital sources, I think it is a great solution, with the built in pre amp function.

We didn't listen to the Luxman DAC, but we did play some CDs.

Their bits were sent to the Mola Mola DAC, via the Auralic, because it is quite a bit better than the Luxman DAC Ben said.
He was always an advocate of the (SA)CD, but today streaming has become better than music from the silver disc he declared.
Some attendants were quite shocked, they hadn't expected this from him.

To underline this, he played a couple of tracks from his own label, trptk.
I have posted albums from this label at numerous occasions.
They sell CDs, downloads and USB sticks.
Recordings are done in DXD.
DXD right from the NAS into the Tambaqui proved to be quite an experience!

For example this album:

A nonet playing some orchestral works, making the melodic lines very transparent.
We listened to it in DXD format.
It was as if the 9 musicians were in the room.
I know, this is a classic line in audio reviews, but try this album at home (via Qobuz 24/96), and you'll hear!

I listened afterwards at home to the same track.
My G2s gave more weight to the sound of course, but I think the 24/96 stream (and my Burmester DAC) didn't quite match the ultimate detail and the sensation of being there of the DXD stream (and Mola Mola DAC).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by bart; 03-30-2019 at 03:04 PM.