View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I recently got some Dueland JAM caps. Not expensive. They are copper and tin foil oilers. Have not soldered them in yet. Good old Vitamin Q's or the Russian oilers are a good choice that won't break the bank. Louis at Omega gives the Jupiter copper foils a thumbs up. *I* would not call them romantic. All of these have tone in spades. Just different flavors.
I had forgotten about the JAM caps. I think in the confines of the Inspire chassis they might be a better choice. I’m also resisting the urge to throw high dollar parts into amps, since a number of respected designers - Dennis and Nelson Pass included - feel that there is a maximum practical benefit for parts quality for each application. Dennis’ amps use very high quality parts but don’t stray into the ultra-fi zone. Nelson’s designs use high quality parts that are still fairly inexpensive (most of the cost of DIY versions of designs is in the metalwork).

My stock Mundorf/Jantzen caps of of much better quality than any other tube amp I have owned (my 421A amp uses NOS Jensen PIO, so they don’t count, and my old 45 SET was direct coupled), and it is likely I will only be adjusting the flavor of the sound rather than its essential character.