View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
I have to be very careful with system matching. The factory component choice from Dennis does not romanticize the sound. However, other components that might be in my ultimate signal chain do. I’m using a DBAudiolabs Tranquility SE NOS DAC that is very smooth, and I’m about to make a switch from Omega single driver speakers to Altec two-ways with my PSE amp. The 802D/32A altec combination is already pretty laid back, and I don’t want to lose any air.

However, I have the luxury of owning a couple Inspire amps as well as a LP-27a preamp. I’m thinking that I may need to keep the preamp and PSE neutral, while I can experiment with my Firebottle KT88 HO. It is one of the last nine-pin driver tube models and does not have the IIPS. This single-tube model is more sensitive to component choice due to the more conventional PS and would be more ideal for experimentation. I already have some choice tubes for this amp (including a ridiculously expensive U52 rectifier), so it is a good candidate for making something sound a bit more lush and romantic. It only has half the power of the PSE, but since my speakers are all 95dB or greater the 10 wpc I can get from the Firebottle HO is adequate, especially when I can always swap in the PSE when I need something with a little more guts.
I recently got some Dueland JAM caps. Not expensive. They are copper and tin foil oilers. Have not soldered them in yet. Good old Vitamin Q's or the Russian oilers are a good choice that won't break the bank. Louis at Omega gives the Jupiter copper foils a thumbs up. *I* would not call them romantic. All of these have tone in spades. Just different flavors.