View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick U View Post
That explains a lot. Do you have one of these in use? What frequency are you using to cross the speakers and the subs? I think I want to make sure 60 is my number before playing with the slopes? Is that a sound idea?
Rick.......I purchased a new Bryston 10 Sub active crossover from Ivan when I had the SF Guarneri Memento speakers in my studio system. I used it to take the low frequencies off the Mementos and route them to a pair of McIntosh XLS112 powered subwoofers. The Guarneri Memento's roll off quickly below 46Hz. Trying to drive them full range was mudding up the Memento's lower midrange from the mid-bass driver struggling to reproduce the lowest octave below its working range. I crossed over everything below 70Hz to the subs and routed everything above 70Hz to the Memento's. I used a 12dB slope on the low pass filter to allow the subs upper crossover point to ease into the range where the Memento's were crossed over. I set the high pass slope to 18dB to roll off the lowest frequencies steeply before the point at which the Memento's began seeing everything above 50Hz. It worked fabulously for the Guarneri Memento speakers and allowed them to blend perfectly with the two XLS112 subwoofers. With the Bryston 10B Sub active crossover in place my subs and Memento's were seamless and performed as full range speakers. It was a great combination.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A