View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Holy cow Rich! What a system! I loved the Salon 2's when I owned them. How do the REF 250's drive them? When I tried the Mcintosh 2301's (which are 50 watts/channel more than the REF 250's), my Salon 2's shut them down multiple times - even at modest levels.

There is another member here at AA (MDP) would would be very curious in how the REF 5SE sounds with the Salon 2's. He has the Salon 2's and is considering that very preamp.

Great system New Guy Rich!

Mike
Hi Mike,

I had the same concern about the Ref250 and Salon2 and spoke to Dave Gordon at ARC about it. He thought the Ref 250 would not have any problems with the Salon 2. I bought the Ref250 and Ref5SE without ever seeing them.

I have had them for about 14 months now and absolutely don't have any issue driving the power hungry Salon 2s. The amps have never shut down. My room is 25x18x10 but it's open to the rest of the floor. My listening level is moderate.

The ref250 and Salon2 combination has fantastic highs and mid/vocal. The bass is also pretty good, none of the flappy low end that I was expecting with tube amps.

The Ref5se and Krell Evolution are also a really good combination with deeper low end than Ref250.

I think the Ref 250 will work very in your fantastic system.

I have been wanting to demo a Ref 10 but I am a bit afraid of what I might hear.

Rich

Last edited by New guy; 03-23-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Typo