View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelkop View Post
Setting up a Roon ROCK server is not that difficult. I went into this direction and have had no regrets. I purchased a slim fanless NUC case (Akasa Plato X7D) and NUC parts (processor, memory, SD disk), then downloaded free server software from the Roon Web site and installed it using their guide. A temporary monitor is needed during the installation process, otherwise it operates headless similar to any other appliance. It is very quick to boot and can stay on for days or months.

The Roon ROCK is automatically discovered by any Roon client software, which can sit on any network PC, phone or tablet. My Roon ROCK NUC is connected to the home network via a network cable and to the dac via a good USB cable, but I plan to add a dedicated network player with I2S connection to the dac hoping of some further sonic benefits. Once installed, Roon NUC server requires very little attention or maintenance.

I was using both JRiver and Roon from my PC earlier, but this refinement with a dedicated Roon server completely removed the PC from my audio chain and it has made an audible difference.
Yes, unlike JRiver, Roon has worked very hard to make the entire Roon ROCK installation and "getting up and running process" very easy. I recently had to send my Mac Mini in for a new logic board (its now a 7 year old computer), and did a complete new install of Roon on my old, backup Macbook Pro. Installation was a snap, and my file library was updated and ready to roll within a couple hours.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-06-2019 at 02:58 PM.