View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 05:22 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......Since your Preamp Possibilies thread went on for two years before you made a buying decision, I think I'll withhold my thoughts for a year and a half before letting you know what I think about your Speaker Possibilities.
Well, remember, that thread began as a hypothetical "what if"; it wasn't a determined plan to replace anything initially. It was a "what should I replace the LS3 with if I need to" thread. It morphed into an active search later on. So it didn't take two years, actually. So there.

Here, I'm considering the merits of a preemptive replacement of my speakers. Deciding whether the idea has merit is my main focus now. If I decide I should do it, then the search becomes active. I wouldn't be in a position to prolong the search should I decide to move ahead necessarily, so if it comes to that it would be a quicker, more practically-based one. Another factor that mitigates against anything being drawn out is that it's quite possible I'll have to move or even relocate upon retiring, as it's doubtful I could afford NY on a reduced income. I would need to consider where I'd go and how much it might cost in advance; that would impact my choices greatly.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 09-17-2013 at 02:34 PM.