View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 05:48 PM

May be too early comparison, but after running in the metal RCA 6F6 / VT-175 for a few days, I took the opportunity to compare them to new production Gold Lion KT66 which have 200-300 hours on them.

This is in an Inspire Parallel Single Ended amp. The 6F6 produce 8 wpc vs the KT66 16 wpc. Volume levels were moderate so I don't think the extra power was a significant factor. Speakers 91db efficiency. Used the same 6SN7 and 5Y3GT rectifier for both.

Used songs very familiar to me, as performed by Rebecca Pidgeon, Nancy Bryan and Holly Cole.

To my ears the KT66 were the clear winners. Big open, natural sound. Vocals sounded much more natural, more like they were in the room with me and well separated from the instruments. Stronger acoustic bass. Midrange & vocals were less forward, sounded "more right." Same for piano.

The 6F6 produced a smaller soundstage, with vocals, strings, and piano pushed more forward in the recording. Deeper bass was okay but not quite as full.

Maybe if I had darker sounding speakers the forwardness I heard from the 6F6 would be more appealing. I listened to a couple of Cat Stevens songs and my impression was that he was shouting at me. Although those songs are not first rate recordings.