View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Channel View Post
Hi PHC1,

Where are the two subs placed in the room?
And, how did you wire them into your stereo system?
Does the Ayre handle the crossovers or do the subs?

Thanks!
The subs should be placed in the corners for most applications where they "load up" the room properly. Some guys like to place them near speakers since they feel the wave-launch will be more in sync with the speakers. I don't feel the same way since the Fathoms have phase and other well thought out controls. I use the phase controls to match each speaker precisely with each sub even though each sub is about 3 feet apart from its respective speaker.

I use an active crossover in my system so I can control how much bass will go to the speaker and how much to the subs. Only an active crossover will allow you to remove some bass from speakers. My monitor speakers sound more coherent because they don't have to struggle to reproduce very deep bass and this eliminates much of the intermodulation distortion of the 6.5" driver of my speaker.

The results are fantastic. At least in my very picky ears when it comes to bass quality.

Here is an old setup flow chart I did a while back to help explain how I have my subs setup.

Notice that the lows are split up before they even get to the amps/speakers. Easier on the amps, easier on the speakers.