View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2 View Post
Great info guys, thank you! Yes you are correct, the c47 and 152 work very well together. A little more background for you. You guessed it, the upgrade bug has set in. I was looking to take my system to the next level, within reason... So yes I have also been looking at amps. In addition to the bigger Macs I was also looking at the pass amps.

I spent a little time with the Mac c2600 preamp, which I liked A LOT but had some extra trade in credit so decided to take the Mac c1100 for a demo at home. It was a brand new unit so I've been breaking it in. I actually do not like what I'm hearing from the c1100. It's very quiet and detailed bit seems to be missing that fleshy tone the c2600 and other tube preamps have. Maybe also a synergy thing with the mc152? Either way I'm having a lot of fun! Thus why I've been looking into preamps in the range of the c1100. I've also been closely looking at the xp30 preamp from pass.
Of course it is up to you, your ears and preference but once again I would suggest staying Mac over Mac for the sonic smack. Pass Labs is a different flavor for sure, not that I am saying it is bad in any way, just different.

One thing I'll add is the C47 sounded fuller and a bit warmer than the tubed preamp such as the C2200 (with stock tubes at least) of that era. Again, not saying one is better than the other but there was enough of a difference that one can like one more than the other.